Acute Flaccid Myelitis( AFM) is a polio-like disease. AFM is rare but serious disease which affects the nervous system especially the gray matter of the spinal cord. In this, muscles fails to weakens to relax.
This disease is rare as much as chances of a child getting it are less than one in a million. This is mostly seen at age of 4yr old child.
What causes acute flaccid myelitis (AFM)?
Till now there is no known cause of most AFM cases or what triggers it. It is said that viruses likely play a role. In recent cases, most people had a mild respiratory illness or fever (like you would get from a viral infection) before they got AFM.
The best thing you can do to protect your children from getting AFM is to keep up with what you are already doing such as
- Hand washing when required.
- Proper Immunization
- Living in a clean and sanitized environment
- Eating a healthy diet
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick
- Staying home when sick
Symptoms and signs of AFM
- Symptom generally appears suddenly.
- Weakness or loss of muscle tone reflexes in arm or leg. Weakness most often occurs in proximal muscles, meaning the muscles closest to the center of the body.
- Numbness or tingling may also occur in same arm and leg.
- Rare but your child may not be able to pass urine as well.
- Respiratory failure can also occur in severe case due to the muscles involved with breathing become weak.
- Difficulty moving the eyes
- Drooping eyelids
- Difficulty swallowing
- Slurred speech
Diagnosis of AFM
AFM is diagnosed on the basis of clinical examination, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the spinal cord, and analysis of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF).
Treatment & Management for AFM
In AFM. the most affected muscle is less likely to recover. Although homeopathy can help you recover in case of even AFM as homeopathy work even in cases where you don’t know the reason behind the disease.
Occupational and physical therapies are given to patient during the course of recovery to prevent the inactivity related problems of skin breakdown and soft tissue contractures that lead to a decreased range of motion. Other treatment depend on the symptoms.