Dengue is a painful mosquito-borne fever. It affects around 300 million people annually. It gets endemic in monsoon or rainy season. In India, People mostly suffer from Dengue in July and August.
Most of the tropical areas affected by Dengue fever such as South East Asia, America. Africa, Mexico and Taiwan. Dengue fever is caused by the dengue virus and transmitted by Aedes aegypti mosquito.
The most important thing in Dengue fever is to keep count on Blood Platelet count. It is normally 1.5lac to 4lac/ ml blood. It should not fall below 80,000.
Symptoms of Dengue Fever
Symptoms usually appear between three to seven days after infection. Symptoms can range from mild to severe. In some cases, it may get serious in Dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) and dengue shock syndrome (DSS).
Mild Symptoms of Dengue
Dengue fever is known as “break-bone” fever. Mild symptoms can be
- High grade fever
- Nausea and vomiting
- Facial flushing
- Skin rashes
- Muscle and bone pain
- Pain behind the eyes
- Sore throat, pain in throat may also occur in some patients.
Severe Symptoms of Dengue
Severe stage can be either DHF or DSS or both. If you or a family member develops any of the following symptoms, immediately visit us or any health provider:
- bleeding from the mouth, gums, or nose
- Stomach or belly pain, tenderness
- Vomiting more than 3 times in 24 hour
- clammy skin
- black vomit and/or stools
- a lower number of platelets in the blood
- weak pulse
- fast fall in blood pressure.
Treatment of Dengue fever
There is no specific medicine or treatment for Dengue fever. It is mostly treated symptomatically.
Some tips can help you recover fast.
- Take Rest as much as possible
- Take acetaminophen/paracetamol to control fever and relieve pain.
- Do not take Aspirin as it may lead to bleeding.
- Drink plenty of fluids such as water or drinks with added electrolytes to stay hydrated.
- Intravenous (IV) fluid supplementation, or drip, if the person cannot take fluids by mouth
- You can take these home remedies for faster relief.
- Still, You are not getting better, you can take homeopathy it does wonder in such kind of fever. click here to book both online or offline appointment with us.
- In case of any sign of internal and external bleeding, immediately visit health provider or book appointment with us.
Prevention of Dengue fever
There is no vaccine to prevent dengue fever. The best way to prevent the disease is to prevent bites by infected mosquitoes, especially if you are living in or traveling to a tropical area. This involves protecting both yourself and making efforts to keep the mosquito population down.