Any kind of irritation, dryness, pain or scratchiness in the throat can be considered as a sore throat.It occurs mostly with every season change. It can be caused by pharyngitis, tonsillitis, flu, cold. A sore throat can resolve on its own without any medicine.
Symptoms of a sore throat depend upon its cause and vary as
- Scratchy sensation
- Pain while swallowing
- Difficulty while swallowing
- Hoarse voice
- Redness inside throat
- white patches/ pus on tonsils
- Hoarse voice
It can be one side or both sides and pain may extend up to ear.
Symptoms that may accompany with sore throat are
- Runny nose
- Lack of appetite
- Nausea or vomiting
- Swollen lymph nodes
Normally a sore throat resolves itself but in severe cases doctor is always needed.
- Viral infections like flu. measles, chicken pox, common cold
- Irritants like tobacco smoke, chemicals, food stuck, pollutants
- Dry air
- Tumors of throat
when to visit a doctor
- Difficult breathing
- Difficult swallowing
Difficulty in opening mouth
Fever higher than 102 F
- High pitch sound while breathing(stridor)
- Difficulty in talking
- Excessive pus in tonsils
If there is difficulty in swallowing liquids it is an immediate sign to visit doctor.
- Wash your hand before eating, after sneezing.
- Avoid close contact with person having cold or cough.
- Gargle with lukewarm water and salt.
- Take hot or cold liquid whichever is comfortable.
- Rest your voice.
- Eat soft food which is easy to swallow eg oats. soups, creams.
Honey will soothe the pain.
- Ginger and honey with hot water work great.
Hence sore throat is a common symptom and not a disease that occurs with other disease and it recovers itself or by home remedies in most of the case.
Homeopathy does wonder even in severe cases of a sore throat. A woman with severe left side throat and ear pain, unable to talk with excessive redness on the left side of the throat was given medicine. She was able to talk within 2 hours and other subsided subsequently.