Ankle joint gets sprained often. It happens when you accidentally twist or turn your ankle in an awkward way. It stretches or tear the ligaments that covers ankle joint. Such injuries happen mainly during athletic events, while running or walking, or even doing something as simple as getting out of bed.
Ankle Sprain Causes
- Stepping on irregular surface
- Awkwardly planting foot on surface
- Weak ankle
- Improper shoes
Swelling, tenderness, bruising, stiffness and pain are the main symptoms of sprained ankle.
What to do for sprained ankle?
Sprained ankle can be treated at home in most cases.
- Protect the injured ankle by using elastic bandages, but not too tightly
- Take proper rest for few days for your ankle and not putting weight on your ankle
- Elevate your foot with pillows to reduce swelling
- Use an ice pack to reduce swelling
- Get professional help for fast and better relief and to prevent further complication.