As soon as you become a parent, the first thing you think about for your child is how to keep him or her healthy. This involves taking care of the teeth too. You immediately go to a doctor when there is a problem or just for regular check-ups. However, where will you go if your child is suffering from dental complications? Yes, that is correct a pediatric dentist is the one who can help you in this matter. Nevertheless, we all know how difficult it can be to take your child to the dentist for the first time can be difficult as children are afraid of going to the dentist.
Hello is thoughtfully formulated with ingredients like xylitol, erythritol, soothing aloe vera, and a silica blend that gently polish teeth. They are serious about being friendly, and about what goes into little mouths.
Why Are Children Afraid of a Pediatric Dentist?
Researchers cannot find any scientific reason to why children are afraid to go to a doctor and especially a dentist. However, there are many irrational fears that children develop in their mind. It is quite the same as fear of finding a monster under the bed or the bogeyman in the closet. So what makes them afraid of the dentist? Here are some reasons:
- Children’s favorite activity is watching TV and several programs are available today that are promoting a negative attitude towards specific fields of life. Dentists and doctors are at the top of the list. Many cartoons and comics portray dentists as people with scary instruments having people strapped onto their chair.
- Parents are also a cause of the unrealistic fear as their anxiety and nervousness projects when their child goes to a pediatric dentist for the first time. Many parents can control their emotions but others are not good at hiding them and can react immediately when seeing their child in pain.
- Many of the children have heard stories that created by others. Peer influence is another way that children get afraid of dentists. Children can make imaginary stories and can fantasize the role of dentists as someone who is evil and can do harm.
- There are certain relatives, who have had a bad experience with dentist share stories in front of the children. This makes the children think about the dentists. So they feel scared going to the pediatric dentist for the first time.
- The dentistry tools like drills seem scary, the general concept is spine chilling, and that idea gets the impression in the mind. The noise of the equipment can make a child anxious and fearful. This can cause the children to use tactics to avoid going to the dentist.
There are several dental clinics across the US that has an environment in accordance with the mood and emotions of the child. So there the child can feel safe and it can drive away all the bad memories.
Tips for your Child for a Pediatric Dentist:
A child’s fragile mind is an empty sheet on which whatever you write imprints on it. If he experiences any one of the following above-mentioned influences then it is a chance that he/she will resist going to a pediatric specialist. However, it is up to the parents that they train their child in such a way that the very first visit is memorable. Here are some points that parents can remember and practice to have your child go to the dentist.
- The very first thing parents should do is to start mentally preparing the child by introducing orally to him/her about the dentist. When the child is old enough to understand between right and wrong, tell him the positive aspects of why to take care of your teeth and the importance of a dentist’s visit.
- Show him pictures where a child dentist is behaving friendly with another child or the inside of a clinic with a child theme based interior. Always tell the positive side of dental care and dentists.
- You can also begin by checking the teeth on a regular base at home or you can do it on alternate days. This will condition the child and on his/her, first visit the feeling of being scared will go away.
- To train your child for the first visit, you can take him/ her along with you whenever you are visiting a dentist. You can even ask the dentist to be extra friendly with the child so that the fear can go away.
- The fear of the child is recognizable in the very first step he/she takes into the clinic. If he/she is afraid, make sure that you positively encourage your child with the help of the child dentist.
- When the child has a favorite thing with him, he feels comfortable and secured. Therefore, have the child’s favorite toy, book or game with you so that it helps the young one busy and distracted while the dentist examines the child.
- Children have the habit of inquiring a lot and are curious about many things. If they ask about their dentist, be sure not to tell the details of the procedure. Just tell them what the duties are and how friendly they are. Try to avoid unnecessary explanations.
By keeping in mind these tips, you can easily prepare your child for their visit to their pediatric dentist for the first time. It becomes easy for the parents and dentist to handle the child properly.