Generic Name: Alprazolam
Brand Names: Xanax, Xanor, Niravam
Xanax or Alprazolam is used for short-term treatment of anxiety disorders and panic disorder. As people with anxiety and panic disorder wants the immediate treatment, it comes in immediate-release and extended-release forms. Alprazolam also comes as an oral solution.
How long does xanax stay in system? Xanax requires at least four days to be completely eliminated from the body.
This increases the release of a chemical called gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in our entire body. That helps to produce a calming effect in your brain.
Alprazolam/ Xanax side effects
I feel like xanax and alprazolam comes with many side effects and its effect may get worse when taken with other medicine as well. Therefore, people who are on xanax for their anxiety and panic attack, should always keep eyes on their side effects.
Common side effects
The more common side effects of xanax oral tablet can include:
- drowsiness, dizziness or light headedness
- headache with blurred vision
- memory problems, trouble in concentrating
- muscle weakness or lack of coordination
- upset stomach like nausea or vomiting, diarrhea
- increased prespiration
- dry mouth
- stuffy nose
- increased or decreased appetite hence weight gain or loss
- loss of interest in sex
If these effects are mild, they may go away within a few days or a couple of weeks. If they’re more severe or don’t go away,speak with physician or pharmacist.
Serious side effects
Call your doctor right away if you have suffer from these serious side effects. Serious side effects and their symptoms can include the following:
- Mental problems like depression, suicidal thoughts, confusion and hallucinations
- Uncontrolled muscle movements, tremors and seizures
- Chest pain accompanied by abnormal heartbeat
- Jaundice (with yellowing of the skin or the whites of the eyes)
- less urination
- This drug may cause a severe allergic reaction like trouble breathing and swelling of your throat or tongue
Alprazolam may interact with other medications and make side effects more worse.
- Certain types of antifungals should never be used with xanax, such as itraconazole or ketoconazole. When used with Xanax, these drugs can cause increased drowsiness.
- Barbiturates, Sedatives or hypnotics, Anxiolytics, Sedative antihistamines,Antidepressants can also increase drowsiness.
- Oral contraceptives (birth control pills).
Warnings for people with certain conditions
- When taken with alcohol, it can also increase drowsiness.
- If you have pre-existing depression, you may start having suicidal thoughts.
- In people with obesity, liver disease, lung disease; This drug can increase the side effects.
- In pregnant women also xanax can cause harm to fetus and mother both.
- Xanax can make baby lethargic if taken by breastfeeding women.
- Drug abuse and dependence: Even when used as recommended, alprazolam may cause emotional or physical dependence (addiction). Don’t increase your dosage of this medication without talking to your doctor, even if you think it’s not working. Also, don’t stop taking this medication suddenly or decrease the dosage without talking to your doctor. This can cause withdrawal symptoms. Some of these can be life-threatening, such as seizures. The risk of dependence is increased if you take higher doses or take this drug for a longer length of time.
- Depression and suicidal thoughts: If you have pre-existing depression, alprazolam may make your condition worse. If your depression gets worse or you have suicidal thoughts, call your doctor right away.